top of page
Frequently Asked Questions


1. What are the rules regarding open burning?
Burning of yard waste is allowed after 4:00 p.m., Tuesday through Friday.  On Saturday, you can burn after 9:00 a.m.  There is no burning on Sunday or Monday.  No burn barrels are allowed.

2. What are the rules for the compost site?
You can take yard waste to the compost site and put it in the designated areas.  No building waste or garbage is allowed and you can be prosecuted if found in violation of this.  The compost site is for residents of St. Ansgar only.

3. What are the rules for animals in St. Ansgar?
You can only have a combination of three (3) animals, dogs or cats, in St. Ansgar.  All animals must not be allowed to run loose, and must be vaccinated and licensed.  Licensing is available at City Hall at no cost.

4. When is garbage and recycling picked up?
Friday is when garbage and recycling is picked up, unless it is a holiday.  You will the need to check the paper as to when the garbage will be picked up.  Recycling bins are available at city hall.  

5. Is there a water deposit that I have to pay to live in St. Ansgar?
If you rent your residence and are responsible for paying the utilities bill, you must pay a deposit of $125.00. Renters and owners are required to sign a users agreement to obtain the service.  

6. How do I know if I need a building permit?
Any restructuring of your house, fence or deck, requires a permit.  Accessory buildings over 120 square feet also need a permit. Please allow a minimum of 24 hours when applying for a building permit.

7. Does the city measure property lines?
Yes, at a fee of $35.00.  However, the Zoning Administrator is not a licensed surveyor. His decision is final unless you wish to hire a professional at your own expense.

8. Does the city allow the use of golf carts?
Yes as long as the owners follow the same rules as the Code of Iowa.  All operators must be a licensed driver, have a slow moving vehicle sign, and a warning flag.  All traffic laws must be followed and violators can be fined. Stop in to city hall to register and fill out the appropriate forms.

9. Is there a snowmobile route through St. Ansgar?
There is a route around St. Ansgar, with a few trails into the city to access a few businesses.  Maps are available at City Hall.

10. Do salesman or peddlers need permits?
Yes and they can stop at city hall to purchase those and fill out an application. Please allow 24 hours for a background check to determine eligibility.

11. Can I rent a shelter at the park?
Just stop in or call city hall to reserve your shelter.  This is done on a first come first serve basis.

12. Does the city trim trees?
Property owners are responsible for trimming their own trees as city code states.  If you want the city to trim your trees, you can schedule this with the city at your expense.

13. Are there building sites available in St. Ansgar?
If you are looking at building a house in St. Angsar, contact City Hall about the Home Buyer's Assistance Program.  If you are looking at a building site, also contact City Hall for contact numbers for businesses.

14. Is there a curfew in St. Ansgar?
At this time there is not a curfew in St. Ansgar.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact City Hall at 641-713-4921or e-mail us at

bottom of page